Some tricks, some treats – some great soccer over the weekend on the Island in top tiered Division 1 play.
It was a weekend where the Island soccer community celebrated the induction of Victoria O’Keefe’s into the Greater Victoria Sports Hall of Fame, as well as respected member of the community, longtime member Alex Nelson.
The biggest talking points of this past weekend were…
* The standings changed over the weekend, especially at the top where Cowichan took out Gorge to reclaim sole possession of top spot.
* The Game of the Week did not disappoint. Craig Gorman picking up the game MVP honours.
*Vic West came away with an impressive win over Nanaimo to get right back in the mix.
* Lakehill still rolling as they travel up to Comox and earn a win.
* In the young gun battle, Westcastle took out a depleted VI Wave team.
* And a big game at the bottom of the table saw the resurging Bays squad take down Vantreights.
Here’s the full Division 1 scores and scorers from the pre-Halloween weekend matches.
Gorge FC 0
Cowichan FC 2 (Patrick Nelson, Marc Anton Bucher)
Vic West 3 (Juan Felipe Tinoco, Bryan Taylor x2)
Nanaimo United 2 (Benjamin Leggett, Daragh Fitzgerald)
Comox Valley United 2 (Peter McWilliams, Graeme McNeill)
Lakehill FC 4 (Dan Citra x2, own goal, Lee Bauer)
Westcastle Unied 4 (Arbnor Jusufi x2, Elliott Cuthbert, Ethan Monaghan)
VI Wave 1 (Stefan Klimach)
Vantreights 1 (Kevin Carrigan)
Bays United 4 (Robert Eng, Craig Robertson, Own Goal, Adam Almeida)
So after all those results from last weekend, the Division 1 table looks as follows:
The battle for the Golden Boot continues to be close.
Nanaimo United’s Daragh Fitzgerald continues to lead the way, with his goal this past weekend taking him to 12 for the season so far. One behind is Cowichan FC’s Patrick Nelson, who continued his great start to the season with another goal to help send his team to the top of the table.
For all the latest news, results, and fixtures, visit VISL.org.