Week 6 of Vancouver Island Soccer League (VISL) action is behind us, and it brought out a couple surprises to say the least.
The biggest talking points of this past weekend were…
* Daragh Fitzgerald had a crazy night as his four goals were just enough to get Nanaimo past Lakehill, moving them up to third place in the standings.
* VI Wave were forced forfeit to Cowichan as they were unable to field a team over the Malahat.
* Westcastle were up 4-1 in the second half of their match, only to see Comox battle back to earn a huge point in what sounded like a very exciting game.
* In what appears to be a big shock, Vic West and Bays Utd drew 3-3.
* Gorge (powered behind a Jon Shah hat trick) remain undefeated, defeating Vantreights to keep the black and white stripes in first and the green in last.
Here’s the full Division 1 scores and scorers from the Thanksgiving weekend matches.
Lakehill FC 3 (Ryan Andre x 2, Dan Citra)
Nanaimo United 4 (Daragh Fitzgerald x 4)
Cowichan FC 3 (Defaulted result as game forfeited)
VI Wave 0
Comox Valley United 4 (Kyle Bate, Grayson Chalifoux x 2, Kellen Arnink)
Westcastle United 4 (Koby Greaves, Koen Schoffner x 2, Ethan Monaghan)
Vic West 3 (Nils Webber x 2, Evan Douglas Gray)
Bays United 3 (Craig Robertson, Martin Gruber, Hayden White)
Vantreights 2 (Kevin Carrigan, Sean Cringle)
Gorge FC 5 (Jon Shah x 3, Robert Litke x 2)
So after all those results from last weekend, the Division 1 table looks as follows:
The battle for the Golden Boot is also hotting up.
Cowichan’s Patrick Nelson still leads the way on nine goals, with Nanaimo’s Daragh Fitzgerald’s four goal performance moving him up to second on eight, alongside Lakehill’s Ryan Andre. Gorge’s Jon Shah’s hat-trick took him to seven goals for the season.
For all the latest news, results, and fixtures, visit VISL.org.