Week 11 proved to be an exciting one. Some big games had big results, and the division placements for teams had some movement.
Here’s some of the main talking points to come out of last weekend.
* Gorge kept pace with the division leaders by handing Bays Utd another loss.
* The Mid Island battle was just that, with Cowichan sneaking by Nanaimo Utd to stay top of Division 1.
* In an all-round battle at Braefoot – the Game Of The Week did not disappoint. Vic West defeated Lakehill, and there is a new rivalry as teams made new acquaintances on the field as well as post game. Overall, cooler heads prevailed, but it will be interesting if these teams meet again later this year. Game MVP was Dylan Kirk of Vic West. Honorable mention was Ryan Andre of Lakehill, as he scored two goals in the losing effort to put him atop the division goal scoring race.
* New kids Westcastle kept rolling by defeating Vantreights.
* VI Wave were not very hospitable as they sent Comox home with a 6-0 drubbing.
Here are how all the games broke down:
Gorge 5 (Colin McDonald, Jordan French, Jon Shah, Aaron Murphy, Drew Brittain)
Bays United 2 (Craig Robertson, Adam Ravenhill)
Cowichan 1 (Kevan Brown)
Nanaimo United 0
Lakehill 2 (Ryan Andre x 2)
Vic West 3 (Matteo Ventura, Bryan Taylor, Derek De Groot)
Westcastle United 5 (Koen Schoffner x 3, Joshua Walter x 2)
Vantreights 1 (Kevin Carrigan)
VI Wave 6 (Kiyoshi Croke, Stefan Klimach, Syvain Taghaoussi, Rees Goertzen x 2, Thomas Mallette)
Comox Valley United 0
And here’s how all of those results leave the VISL Division 1 standings:
Lakehill’s Ryan Andre moves into the lead in the race for the Golden Boot on 13 goals, with Nanaimo United’s Daragh Fitzgerald now one behind on 12. Cowichan’s Patrick Nelson is next on 11, with Gorge’s Jon Shah sitting on 10 goals.
For all the latest news, results, and fixtures, visit VISL.org.