Just when you think you know what way things will go, a weekend of soccer plays out, and the results are not what you expected.
Just three points separate the top six teams in the Vancouver Island Soccer League (VISL) Division 1 standings after the first four weeks of matches. Local island soccer looks like it is in for an interesting year.
The biggest talking points of this past weekend were…
* Cowichan did avenge last week’s loss and took it out on Lakehill.
* Vantreights went up to Comox and almost earn a valuable away point.
* Nanaimo are looking like they are getting strong as the season unfolds, blanking Bays United, who haven’t been this far down the league ladder for a long time
* Westcastle surprisingly drew with undefeated Division 1 leaders Gorge, spoiling the Victoria men’s 100% record.
* VI Wave score late to salvage a draw against Vic West.
* Gorge continue to lead the pack at this early stage, but Cowichan are nipping at their heels.
Here’s the full Division 1 scores and scorers.
Cowichan FC 4 (Patrick Nelson 2, Craig Gorman, Tanner Dobson)
Lakehill FC 1 (Ryan Andre)
Comox Valley United 3 (Kyle Bate, Peter McWilliams, Gokhan Avcil)
Vantreights 2 (Kevin Carrigan, Nigel Delange)
Nanaimo United 3 (Matt Mehrassa, Mateo Kostering, Callum Magog)
Bays United Liquor Plus 0
Westcastle United 1 (Zakaria Bougraine)
Gorge FC 1 (Aaron Murphy)
Vic West FC 2 (Matteo Ventura, Nils Webber)
VI Wave 2 (Rees Goertzen, Kiyoshi Croke)
So after all those results from last weekend, the Division 1 table looks as follows.