FC Tigers kicked out of BC Provincial Cup as defending champs BB5 United go nap

FC Tigers kicked out of BC Provincial Cup as defending champs BB5 United go nap

The 2023 BC Provincial A Cup quarter-finals threw up some drama both on and off the pitch this past week. Just as we were writing our recap of the weekend’s action, that seemed to have set up another Vancouver Metro Soccer League (VMSL) versus Fraser Valley Soccer League (FVSL) final, word started to come through that an appeal from losing quarter-finalists Croatia SC was in the work around player eligibility on the team that beat them, FVSL league and cup champs FC Tigers.

BC Soccer held a meeting to look into the matter, delaying their decision until Thursday to ensure all due diligence was undertaken, and the end result saw the last year’s beaten finalists thrown out of the competition, leaving three VMSL sides in the semi-finals and just one team now from the FVSL.

The on-pitch action kicked off at Newton Athletic Park on Friday night, in an all-VMSL clash that saw back-to-back defending champions BB5 United defeat Inter EDC 5-0.

BB5 took the game to Inter from the off, having a couple of early looks on goal before taking the lead just five minutes in when Danylo Smychenko tucked away a Connor MacMillan free kick into the box.

It was a fairly even game, with both sides creating chances, but Inter were dealt a huge blow on the half hour when Nic Apostol was shown a straight red card for pushing over Nic Morello right in front of an open goal. Mamadi Camara hit the left post with his subsequent penalty but BB5 sensed blood in the water and went for the jugular to put the game to bed before half time.

Morello made it 2-0 to the Surrey side in the 35th minute with a beautiful long range dipper, before Camara made amends for the penalty miss with a nice finish in first half stoppage time.

A second half brace from Farivar Torabi at the start and end of the second half saw BB5 run out 5-0 winners, but full credit to Inter, who never stopped pushing, despite being down a man for a whole hour.

You can see our highlights of the match HERE and below:

BB5 United now move on to another all-VMSL clash in the semi-finals against the team that they battled all the way to the league title this season, Coquitlam Metro Ford Wolves.

Metro Ford headed over to the island to take on Vancouver Island Soccer League (VISL) champions Lakehill FC on Sunday afternoon at the Topaz Park Finlayson turf in Victoria. Scoreless at the half, Metro Ford took the lead early in the second when Juan Sanchez fired home the opener. Lakehill tied it up from the spot after a clear handball in the box, but there was to be late drama as Coquitlam got a controversial late penalty of their own and Sanchez fired home the 88th minute winner from the spot to set up a 1st versus 2nd VMSL showdown in the semis.

That game goes at Newton Athletic Park in Surrey on Friday night. Kick off is 8.15pm.

The other side of the bracket saw an all-FVSL affair on Saturday night as Abbotsford United played host to Micro Footie Academy at the MRC Sports Complex. Abby jumped out to a 2-0 lead but were pegged back by Micro Footie with about 20 minutes to go. A late own goal by the visitors saw Abbotsford United move on to the semis with the 3-1 victory.

And up until yesterday they thought they’d be facing their FVSL rivals FC Tigers there.

Tigers played host to VMSL side Croatia SC on the Hjorth turf on Sunday afternoon, coming through a very eventful match 2-0 in the end, having played just over a half with ten men.

The FVSL champs conceded a penalty in the 37th minute and as tensions boiled over in the aftermath saw one of their players sent off. Lukas Strauts came up with the big save to stop the penalty and the Tigers were given a lifeline.

The match stayed that way until the 78th minute when Erik Edwardson volleyed home a cutback from the byeline and the ten man Tigers had the lead.

Croatia threw everything at Tigers to get back on level terms, with Strauts forced into some saves, but they were literally handed the chance to tie things up in the 85th minute when the referee blew for a handball in the box. Up stepped Cole Johnson, who blew a kiss to the Tigers before shanking his penalty wide right!

Croatia then crashed one off the bar in stoppage time, but as they rued their luck Tigers went up the pitch and put the game to bed with a killer second for the 2-0 win.

You can see Sports Revolution’s highlights of the match HERE and below:

And that was that. Except it wasn’t. Croatia felt things weren’t right with the Tigers roster, lodged a protest, and were proved correct. Tigers were kicked out of the competition and Croatia now advance to host Abbotsford United on Saturday night at Burnaby Lake. Kick off is 8.30pm.

Authored by: Michael McColl

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.