We had to take a couple of days off our Festive Fun feature unfortunately due to a lack of time, but we’re back today with a puzzle that will test both your Whitecaps knowledge and math skills.
Today’s puzzle needs solved in two parts.
Below are 12 clues to the numbers required to solve six sums. The questions span the history of Vancouver Whitecaps from their formation to the present day, encompassing the NASL, USL, and MLS eras, along with the 86ers.
Once you’ve got the answer to the clues, you’ll have 12 numbers, each of which can be placed into one of the six sums below to give you the correct solution to that particular sum. Each number can only be used once, but numbers could fit more than one sum.
There is only one correct solution that will allow you to complete all six sums. That answer is at the end if you are stuck. Good luck and happy puzzling!
THE CLUES TO THE NUMBERS REQUIRED
Bobby Lenarduzzi’s retired jersey number
Carl Valentine’s NASL shirt number
The minute of Eric Hassli’s wonder goal in Seattle in 2011
The number of Canadian Soccer League championships won by Vancouver 86ers
The number of goals Camilo scored to win the MLS Golden Boot in 2013
The number of head coaches (official and interim) in the Whitecaps MLS era
The number of times the Whitecaps have won the Cascadia Cup
The number of Whitecaps goals scored by club record goalscorer Dominic Mobilio
The number of the player who scored both Whitecaps goals in the 1979 Soccer Bowl
The year of the Whitecaps only Voyageurs Cup win
The year of Vancouver 86ers first competitive match
Vancouver Whitecaps first season of play
THE SUMS TO SOLVE
(1) ? / ? = 2
(2) ? – ? = 3
(3) ? + ? = 8
(4) ? + ? = 27
(5) ? – ? = 28
(6) ? / ? = 94
(1) Dominic Mobilio’s goals (170) divided by the minute Eric Hassli scored in Seattle (85) = 2
(2) Trevor Whymark’s shirt number (9) minus Cascadia Cup wins (6) = 3
(3) Whitecaps MLS head coaches (4) plus number of CSL championships (4) = 8
(4) Camilo’s Golden Boot goals (22) plus Lenarduzzi’s retired shirt number (5) = 27
(5) Year of V Cup win (2015) minus Year of 86ers first game (1987) = 28
(6) Whitecaps first year of play (1974) divided by Carl Valentine’s NASL shirt number (21) = 94